“Since an overseer is entrusted with God’s work, he must be… disciplined.” Titus 1:7-8
Discipline is built in the simple, small moments of our lives. An undisciplined leader demonstrates a lack of respect for the small moments of obedience, weakens his willpower and sets himself up for a potential crisis of character. I’ve always told my children discipline is saying no to the thing I “want” to do so I can be the person God wants me to be.
- Getting up instead of pushing the snooze
- Writing down your priorities for the day (and actually following through)
- Packing a brown bag instead of eating out
- Saying “No” to dessert instead of “just a little” dessert
- Choosing to be positive in conversations rather than negative
- Pushing hard the last 10 seconds of a one minute sprint
- Doing a fourth set
- Turning off the computer and going home on time to be with your family
- Opening up a book instead of turning on a television
It’s discipline in the small moments that build a big character.
What does discipline look like for you this today?