I want to be a leader that’s used by God to inspire uncommon levels of commitment in His followers. My guess is you want that same thing. If that’s our target then the question is: What does a high level of commitment look like? What are we actually aiming at?
In Luke 10:1-16 we see a perfect example of men who were inspired to uncommon levels of commitment. These 70 men had been hanging with Jesus when suddenly he empowered them to go out to do ministry on their own. We learn a lot about what commitment looks like when we look at the assignment these men accepted and their response when it was over.
Five signs of High Commitment.
- A submisson to spiritual authority. Luke 10:1 “After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go.” These men eagerly accepted Jesus assignment as well as his instructions.
- Willing to take risks for the sake of the vision. Luke 10:3 “Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves.” When someone has low commitment they have low tolerance for risk.
- Willing to make personal sacrifice for the cause. Luke 10:4 “Do not take a purse or bag or sandals.” These men left behind the common comforts of life in order to walk in faith.
- Don’t quit when things get tough. Luke 10:16 “he who rejects you rejects me; but he who rejects me rejects him who sent me.” These men encountered opposition and rejection at levels they had never experienced before, yet they carried out the mission.
- Totally engaged in the mission. Luke 10:17 “The seventy-two returned with joy.” When they returned and reconnected with Jesus they were fired up! They loved every minute of the challenge, they had been totally engaged.
Do you see these signs in your team members? If not go back and read the previous 5 posts. What adjustments do you need to make?