Someone came into my office the other day and gave me a word of encouragement. As the words came out of their mouth something took place in my spirit. A transformation, my motivation and inspiration soared. I was reminded in that moment of the power of encouragement. Why is it leaders so often neglect using this powerful tool?
Just prior to entering the Promise Land God told Moses, “But commission Joshua and ENCOURAGE and strengthen him for he will lead this people across and will cause them to inherit the land.” (Deuteronomy 3:28) In a very critical moment in this young leaders life God reminded Moses to encourage him. The Hebrew word for encourage is chazaq which means, “to make strong or firm”. Encouragement has power. Here are 7 things encouragement will do for those we lead.
- It helps them see the work God is doing in or through their life.
- It motivates them to continual improvement.
- It enhances their confidence and courage.
- It expands their vision. When they know the progress they’ve made has been recognized and appreciated it causes them to dream bigger.
- It validates their giftedness. Most people struggle with clarity in the area of their giftedness. A specific word of encouragement can help bring needed confirmation.
- It creates relational bonds between the leader and follower.
- It teaches them to encourage others.
This Weeks Leadership Challenge: Sow seeds of specific encouragement to individuals this week and watch it strengthen the spirit of your team.