Finding yourself making a lot of mistakes? Getting a lot of resistance to your leadership? Frustrated by a lack of progress? Perhaps you need a good dose of leadership wisdom. It’s easy to fall into the trap of being a busy leader rather than a discerning leader. Solomon reminds us, “Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul; if you find it, there is a future hope for you.” I was doing a study of wisdom in Proverbs recently and discovered 5 factors that keep us from having leadership wisdom. (If you put your cursor over the bible references below you will be able to read the verses)
- Impatience – I want it fixed now. Seeking wisdom requires TIME. Proverbs 1:20-21, 14:8
- Laziness – I don’t have drive or energy to seek out options and the right solution. Seeking wisdom requires ENERGY. Proverbs 2:1-5
- Self reliance – I can figure it out myself, I don’t need anyone’s help. Seeking wisdom requires HUMILITY. Proverbs 3:7; 9:10; 28:26
- Failure to Seek counsel – I didn’t think about seeking counsel from others. Seeking wisdom requires a TEACHABLE SPIRIT. Proverbs 9:9; 12:15; 13:10, 20. 15:31, 19:20.
- Lack of Prayer – I neglect talking to God about my leadership opportunities and decisions. Seeking wisdom requires PRAYER. Proverbs 2:6, James 1:5