A couple of weeks ago I wrote about the changes taking place with leadership development. One of those changes is Customized Learning plans. Well, last week I was meeting with a sharp young worship leader who wants to develop his leadership skills. During our meeting time we went through the following steps to develop a customized development tool he can use for himself and his team.
- Identify a Key Job Responsibility
- Create a list of no more than seven competencies (skills) that are necessary to do that responsibility well
- Have the learner rank themselves 1-5 on each competency
- Choose one area to work on and create a 30 day growth plan
- Follow-up and share your progress
This young man chose the responsiblity of Leading a Worship Band. Here is the customized tool we developed for that particular responsiblity.
1 Read each sentence below and rank yourself on each of the competencies.
SCALE: 1 = I don’t have a clue 2 = I know a little bit 3 = I have some experience 4 = I’m fairly confident 5 = I do this really well
Leading a Band requires the following competencies… rank yourself 1-5 on each.
- Dynamic of Worship – The leader understands the rhythm, focus and dynamics of each song in order to maximize that particular songs message
- Confrontation – The leader brings correction or adjustment to each team members attitude and performance
- Connect with team – The leader connects with team members by communicating and relating to them outside of church services
- Spiritual leadership – The leader brings spiritual insights and encouragement to the team and serves as a model for spiritual leadership.
- Encouragement – The leader helps each team member understand and maximize the strengths they bring to the team.
- Communication – The leader communicates clearly before rehearsal by informing members of service details in advance and during rehearsal by addressing each team member in a way that brings clarity and understanding.
- Servant Leadership – The leader models servant leadership by serving each member of the team with humility and kindness.
- Time management – The leader will effectively manage rehearsal time by starting and ending on time as well as sufficiently covering all songs according to the need of the band members.
2 Next work with your mentor or learning group to choose one area you will focus on over the next 30 days.
3 Write down 3-4 next steps you can take to help you develop that particular competency.
Use the following to help prompt your thinking about your next steps:
- I will read…
- I will meet with…
- I will Google search…
- I will do…
- I will listen to…
- I will observe…
- I will go…
4 Meet again within 30 days with your partner or mentor and share your progress as well as what you have learned. I would recommend discussing the following questions:
- What next steps did you take?
- How well did you do?
- What would you do differently?
- What did you learn?
Who are you personally developing? Create your a customized growth tool by following the steps listed above. Give it a try over the next 30 days and see what happens.