Do members of your team need to sharpen their vision casting skills? Use the following module to engage in a dynamic discussion and watch development happen right in front of your eyes.
- Give 2-4 members of your team a copy of this training module. (Don’t ask more than 4 people. The more people you include the less impact it will have on them individually.)
- Ask them to do each of the assignments before you meet back together as a group.
- When you meet together your role is to simply ask the questions provided and help them debrief what they are learning. Use your experience to speak into their learning but only after you’ve drawn out their thoughts and learnings first. During the discussion stay focused by continually referring back to the competency you’re trying to help them develop: Communicate vision in way that it sticks with and is passed on by others
Competency: Communicate vision in way that it sticks with and is passed on by others
Read Passage Matthew 28:16-20
Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
- What is significant about the timing and location of Jesus meeting with the eleven disciples?
- In three short sentences, Jesus gave what has become known as the Great Commission. What is the significance of each of these sentences?
- Which of the sentences would’ve meant the most to you if you were one of the disciples standing there with Jesus at that time? Why?
Listen to Andy Stanley Leadership Podcast (CLICK HERE TO LISTEN)
Answer the following questions:
- How would you grade yourself as a vision caster? A-B-C-D or F? Why?
- What impressed you about Frank’s initial actions as new CEO of Home Depot?
- How would it change the way you lead if you inverted the leadership pyramid of your organization or department? Write out specific ways.
- In what ways is your vision complex, non-portable and difficult to repeat? What do you need to do to make it Simple, Portable and Repeatable?
- Frank told several stories throughout the podcast, which one stood out to you the most? Why? What leadership principle did you take away from that story? (Write out 2-3 specific principles)
- Write down specific ways you are setting, living and celebrating the vision of your organization or department?
Share a story with your team members that illustrates your vision. Share it in a way that is simple, portable and repeatable.
- What story did you share with your team? Why did you share that particular story?
- What outcome do you hope this story will have in their beliefs and behaviors?
- What was their response?
Work in a position you normally don’t serve in with your organization and write down observations of your experience.
- What did I experience?
- How did it impact my perspective on the overall vision?
- How did it impact my perspective on those serving in that role?
- What ideas did it generate for me?
- How did others respond to seeing me serving in that role?
I hope you find this module helpful. After you use it with your team let me know how it went.